Okay guys, here goes. As I already explained in the email, this is just so that we can put up important information / questions before the trip, rather than email back and forth and possibly forget what we talked about over time. Also, I can post links here for you guys to look at instead of cluttering up my bookmarked favourites. :P
- The weather right now is getting really cold really fast, so remember to bring warm clothes. If we're going to be out for prolonged periods of time and if you get cold really easily like me, you might want to look into wearing a thin layer of polypropylene or a pair of stockings under your jeans/pants. 2 to 4 layers on top (depending on the material) is also recommended.
- Please get a good jacket. It will get cold on the glacier hike and down south. Look into a waterproof one with a hood to wear on the outside. It's not essential, but good to have in case it rains. Well, if it rains chances are we won't do anything and just stay in. Which brings me to point 3...
- Bring a book / games / whatever you need to entertain yourself in case of bad weather or at night. It will start getting dark around 4.30 to 5pm, and will therefore be very, very cold and boring.
- Gas prices have been going up LIKE MAD. I'm really sorry about this but I think we'll have to do a revised estimate of prices. Just to give you an idea, when I was travelling in December 2005, the price of petrol was around $1.51 per litre. Now it's $1.71 and due to increase again very soon. A full tank is going to cost a bomb.
- I have a rough idea of what we're going to do on the trip already. I think in the period before my group project, we'll just head up north instead of going south. I doubt there's enough time to squeeze the southern half in, and if we do that first the second half of the trip will be quite boring.
This means we'll head up to Kaikoura / Picton / MAYBE Motueka and Hanmer / Akaroa at first. After my presentation, we'll head down to the glaciers, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Wanaka and maybe (but probably not) Dunedin. And, of course, skiing (at Mt Hutt)!
I'm putting all the names of the places down so you can go check on a map if you have one where all the places are. And also read up on the things to do in your various guidebooks. Let me know if there is anything in particular that you want to cover, or any small town on the way you want to stop at so I can work out the driving timing. Please don't leave all the activity planning up to me, or else I'll end up doing all the stuff I want to do, which will probably not be very fun for you guys. :P
Alright that should be it for now. Talk to all of you once exams are over! (I have FIVE ESSAYS to complete in 20 days!)
XXOO







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home